MX2018 - Ultimate MX-5 Star Alpine Run
April will see the annual enthusiasts’ pilgrimage to the Victorian High Country and Snowy Mountains, on a 2-night 3 day run that will start from Canberra at 7:00am on Friday 27 April 2018, hosted by the BreakFast Club.
Canberra is around 3-hours’ drive from Sydney and those participating will have the option of either driving down sometime on Thursday, or having a very early start on Friday (not recommended). This year we have planned 3 days over some of the best MX-5 driving roads in the country, with everybody responsible for making their own arrangements for accommodation at our nominated motel; or wherever you wish to bunk down for the night in or near Bright.
If you are starting from Sydney, you can expect to log up around 2000km on your odometer over three days with special sections and transition stages each day. This annual event has sections of road ranging from highways and A & B Class roads, to Hard and Very Hard challenging alpine and forest roads. The MX2018 is a waypoint run and not for novice drivers; having early starts on runs of around 500km behind the wheel each day, to take in some fantastic and scenic driving sections of road.
Breakfast and dinner will be our main sit-down meals, with coffee and light refreshments in between each day. We will have Stop Rest Survive breaks at our usual haunts, but are open to any suggestions for a new refreshment stop en route or for a meal.
Day 1 Friday 27th April 2018 will see us head from Canberra to the Delegate Cafe for breakfast, then we will have the chance of driving the following special MX-5 road sections:
1. Bonang Highway (113km of winding road) from Delegate on the Monaro Plains in NSW down to the sea at Orbost in Victoria - a 5 stars plus MX-5 road despite 11km of dirt to discourage day trippers.
2. The Alpine Way as it runs along the wall in the gorge cut by Tambo Creek for 25 kms, a 4-star MX-5 road.
3. Depending on time and weather conditions either a drive:
1. Up the 55km rollercoaster from Omeo to Mount Hotham - a 3-star MX-5 climb; or
2. The incredible 35km of the “washing machine” section of the Omeo Highway from close to Omeo and the start of the Bonang High Plains Road at Glenn Valley (a 5 star plus MX-5 Road); followed by a run of 35km over the Bonang High Plains Road to Falls Creek then the 30km drop down to Mt Beauty (a 4-star MX-5 Road).
4. Mount Hotham down to Harrietville (a 30km descent with 400 twists, turns and changes of direction turns) a 5-star MX-5 descent.
Day 2 Saturday 28th April 2018 will see us drive the best one-day run used by the BreakFast Club with time in the afternoon to visit Mt Buffalo and/or Bright and/or Beechworth with two runs over Tawonga Gap (a 5-star MX-5 experience) in the afternoon that includes the following special MX-5 roads: -
5. The ascent up to Mt Hotham from Harrietville - 5 star climb in a MX-5, with 400 turns of the steering wheel in 30km.
6. The full-blown Omeo Highway experience that starts with the washing machine and morphs into a road that snakes its way down the valleys to Mitta Mitta for around 155km of relentless twist and turns- 5 star plus MX-5 road.
7. A reprise run of the 75km section of the lower section of the Omeo Highway from Mitta Mitta to the start of the Bonang High Plains at Glenn Valley – a 5 star plus MX-5 road
8. A 65km run up the Bogong Plains Highway from the Omeo Highway to Falls Creek and down to Mount Beauty via Falls Creek, 4-star MX-5 road.
Day 3 Sunday 29th April 2018 will see the run back to Sydney. We plan to return over Snowy Mountains on either The Alpine Way (a 5-star road); Elliott’s Way (a 5-star road) or Tooma Road (a 4-star road) depending on the weather conditions. As a fall back of last resort we will head north to meet up with the Hume Highway via Green Hills State Forest, a 5-star MX-5 road, to either Adelong or Tumut.
The plan is to get back to the M1/M7 interchange at Prestons by around 3:00pm and before the day trippers.
Watson, ACT – Thursday 26th April 2018 (optional)
Peter recommends that you book a room ASAP at the ibis budget Canberra 17 Tay Street, Watson, ACT 2602,
We have reserved 7 Standard Queen Rooms on Thursday 26th April 2018 under "MX5 Breakfast Club NSW" at a special prepay rate of $74.00 per room per night.
Please kindly get each guest to contact us directly on (02) 6253 9020 and quote “MX5 Breakfast Club NSW” to receive this special prepay rate.
Once all 7 rooms are booked, rooms and rates will be subject to availability.
Bright Vic, Bright Velo Hotel & Café – Friday 27 & Saturday 28 April 2018
Peter has arranged the motel accommodation in Bright. Please contact Peter on 0417 269 325 or email email@example.com to make your booking and payment ($200 for two nights).
CONFIRMATION OF PARTICIPATION & RESERVATION
Please complete the booking form below ... or by clicking "Book Now".