NSW Supersprints 2019 Round 5
30 September 2019 / Words by Joe Kovacic, Photos by Rob Wilko
A fresh and cool start to Round 5 hosted by MX-5 Club of NSW was held at Wakefield Park on Sunday 22 September. As the day warmed up, some hot times and lap records were set by some of the drivers. Some competitors managed to get 6 runs if they wanted them due to the dummy grid being run by yours truly. We had our largest field of the year with 17 MX-5s on the starting grid.
Thank you to all of our 10 registered MX-5 Club drivers who represented our club gallantly against a barrage of ARDC drivers. Congratulations to Luke Kovacic on having the fastest MX-5 on the day - and making an excursion into the gravel trap at turn 2! Congratulations also to Keith Monaghan, Jamie Martin and Luke Kovacic on 1st places in their classes. Congratulations to all of our 10 drivers on their results as follows.
- Keith Monahan 1st place Class 1B Time 1:13.02
- Jamie Martin 1st place Class 2A Time 1:13.85
- Andrew Digney 2nd place Class 2A Time 1:16.25
- Ken Hardy 2nd place Class 2B Time 1:13.02
- Jamie Collins 3rd place Class 2C Time 1:14.76
- Marty Voormeulen 3rd place Class 5C Time 1:10.81
- Luke Kovacic 1st place Class 6B Time 1:05.94
- Russ Maxwell 4th place Class 6B Time 1:08.84
- Ed Cory 4th place Class 6B Time 1;13.06
- Jason Russell 3rd place Class 6C Time 1:08.68
As far as the Club Championship is concerned, the Mazda MX-5 Club of NSW with only 10 competitors today managed to get 2nd place just behind ARDC. So the pointscore after the fifth round has ARDC in 1st place on 2235 pts, 2nd place HSV Club 1051 pts, 3rd place MX-5 Club of NSW on 879 pts.
The final Supersprint round is at SMP Gardner Circuit to be hosted by ARDC. With more MX-5 entries we have a chance of gaining 2nd place in the Championship.