Hill End Strike it Rich
South Coast Run to Hill End 10-12 March 2021
Follow James and Giulia as they take you on what is going to be a long run of close to 450km from Batemans Bay and will necessitate an early start, no later than 7:45 am.
The route will take us from the Bay to Bungendore and on to Sutton for morning tea at The Baker (130k), then to Bathurst via Gunning, Crookwell, Tuena and Trunkey Creek (great MX-5 roads) for lunch at the Family Hotel in Bentinck St Bathurst (230k).
The last leg is via Eglinton and Turondale to Hill End (80k).
12 rooms have been booked at the Hill End Lodge at $115 per room including a light breakfast. The Lodge is about 1k from the centre of town. The first night dinner will be at The Shed restaurant within The Lodge.
A guided walking tour of the village’s old buildings is planned for next morning, followed by morning tea at the Hill End Estate Tea Garden Café. We will then head to Sofala (35k) for lunch at Café Sofala and some more historical ramblings!
The evening plan is to walk/drive to the Royal Hotel for dinner and a few ales. Returning to the Lodge is along an unlit cobbled street with nocturnal creatures on the prowl and providing the ideal opportunity to tell a scary story!! Bring a torch or two!
The return on Friday will be back to Bathurst via Sofala, to Oberon for morning tea, then through to Goulburn for lunch and home via Tarago and Braidwood. The distance is similar to day one.
- We have planned three meeting points. The Batemans Bay starting point is Old Punt Rd off the Kings Highway, opposite the servo at the intersection of the Kings/Princes Highways, leaving at 8.00am. Morning tea is planned for Sutton where any Canberra members can join us. Lastly, the Crookwell meet-up has been changed to Binda which is about 20k's toward Bathurst along the Binda Rd, with toilets and parking for a comfort stop and a stretch!
- Meeting at Bateman’s Bay Old Punt Rd: 8:00am
- Morning tea stop/ meeting place for Canberra participants at The Baker, Sutton at 9:30am
- Meeting at Binda at 11:20-11:30am
- The guided walking tour of the village and cemetery on Thursday morning is $20 CASH ONLY per head. We will need to confirm numbers for this, so please let us know a few days beforehand if you don’t want to be included.
- 12 rooms have been booked at the Hill End Lodge at $115 per night including a light breakfast. Please pay on arrival.